Monday, April 23, 2012

run GPGnet as _normal_ user?

Hi!



I play a game of SupCom/FA from time to time and Im wondering why I cant run GPGnet as "normal" user - with no extra privileges. (OS: Win7)



I understand that extra privileges are necessary to do game/GPPnet updates, but I dont see why SupCom and FA have to be run that way.



Im currently copying replays, maps and other stuff from one user to another to have them available for offline play too.



What does not work is creating 'shortcuts' between the SupCom/FA directories of that two users. NTFS-links would probably work, but I didnt try that.



So, is it possible to make GPGnet only ask for extra privileges when it is doing updates and ran under that account which started it otherwise?|||The games do not need admin privileges. Neither does GPGNet, except that updates will fail. Why are you copying things to another user to allow for offline play? Your online profile will work fine in offline mode. Unfortunately, I do not know of any method where GPGNet will ask for permission only when patching, but since patches are so few and far between, there is no true need to have it run as admin all the time. So I think you can run it as normal, and when the patches come, run it as admin for that time only.|||Well, I dont have a choice:

Once I start GPGnet, the (Win7) UAC dialogue will pop up and if I decline, GPGnet wont start...



Sure can I run SupCom/FA as normal user, but Ill have to manually copy downloaded stuff around.|||Then I think you'll just have to live with it. You could change your UAC settings so that it doesn't give an alert, but due to what GPGNet does, namely download stuff onto your computer, Windows doesn't like that and you will just have to click Yes on the prompt or lower your security settings.|||So, Ill probably have to live with two accounts: One with privileges to run GPGnet and one to play SupCom/FA offline...



Too bad. Thought there was an easier way than manually copying downloaded stuff around and mess with NTFS-links between those two profiles... ("shortcuts" wont work btw.).|||Why do you need 2 users? Can't you just use one? Or are they different computers? Use the user that can run GPGNet and use it to run FA. FA can run while not connected to the internet, so I don't see why you need an extra user to play offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment