Monday, April 23, 2012

NATTrace: a tool for tracing network problems

NATTrace is a little tool that will check if your network connection is suitable for playing Supreme Commander. If it identifies any issues it will offer some suggestions as to what can be done to correct the problem. It also produces a report which you can cut and paste into the message boards, or email to tech support personnel.



NATTrace has been updated to version 1.00, in honour of SupCom's release. It now checks the new ports used by the retail version of Supreme Commander. These are different to the beta version, so if you're using an older version of NATTrace it would be a good idea to upgrade to this latest release.



You can fetch it at the following URL:

http://cavesvr.caverock.com/~andrew/nattrace|||Really helpful program, and thanks for updating it :)



Unfortunately I still get connection problems, although I completely passed the test.|||Ditto, it's a great tool for proving to myself that I had actually set everything up properly and therefore the connection problems aren't my fault :)|||Hehe glad to help -- I guess!



One thing that's caught me in the past is that my firewall wouldn't create an exception for SupremeCommander - it actually was bringing up a window asking if I wanted to Allow access, but the window was being hidden as the main game ran.



I solved this by manually adding an exception for SupCom by locating the SupremeCommander.exe file under the Program Files folders.



The firewall can block data outright, but the antivirus is the tricky bit: false positives can cause it to only block occasional pieces of data - very confusing!



If you're uncertain, try (temporarily) disabling or even uninstalling your firewall, and possibly your antivirus software. If it works then, then you can try reinstalling your antivirus/firewall and manually adding exclusions.



To get the exclusions right one thing to try is to go CTRL+ALT+DELETE while in a SupCom game, use Task Manager to identify the SupCom processes that are running, and ensure these are in your exclusions list. You should exclude the programs from both your firewall and your antivirus software.|||Alas, it's not that simple. I've got an ISA Server configuration here, which doesn't make it simple to blanket allow individual applications. Not that it really matters as I've tried allowing all traffic on all ports and it still doesn't work.



Hell, I've even tried configuring it so that my client PC actively listens on all the UDP ports GPGNet uses in case it does something retarded like soliciting a connection from a different IP to the one you connect to initially and breaks the statefullness.



My next plan is to install a software firewall onto my PC and plug it directly into the DMZ, but even if that works, it's not like I can leave it in that configuration, so it doesn't really help any more than establishing that there's some kind of nebulous NAT issue.|||Quick question - the first two TCP tests that your tool runs, what are they trying to achieve? It looks like they're connecting to static-mozorg.nllb.nl.mozilla.com (63.245.213.12), but I always get an exception on both the IP and hostname tests.



I've just tried plugging my PC directly into the DMZ with a copy of Kerio Personal Firewall installed and GPGNet works (And those two TCP tests pass, although I've no idea how they could be linked).



Either way, I really can't see what more I can do to troubleshoot this unless someone from GPG can provide more information about how GPGNet communicates other than a list of ports and insinuations that I don't know what I'm doing.|||Well, I've solved it - sort of. If I disable the ISA Firewall Client completely then it works. I'll just have to see if anything else breaks as a result of disabling it.|||The first two tests are the web fetch and the version check. Both use your standard web access method (which may involve a proxy if you have one configured) to fetch small web pages from the test server, CAVESVR.



The first checks that you have web access (which GPGNet needs), the second that the copy of NATTrace that you're running is up-to-date.



Not sure why your machine is trying to connect to that address though - possibly some web browser startup check. CAVESVR's address starts with 202.27.|||Excellent program... this thread should be stickied. Very useful in evaluating what the problem is. It's time for me to go talk to the router people about why their router is messing with my ports :)|||MadAndy makes MadBoris proud. 8)



Much needed around here.|||MadAndy|||Hey, i got an error @ port 9103 "Failed - Exception caught" Basically what does this mean? When i try without GPGNet open, it says "failed - invalid response". Does this mean the port aint in use? It says that this port is blocked and used by GPGnet? Might it cause this malfunction with my antivirus/firewall?|||Hmm it says that this port 9103 can only be used once? Could this be one reason for the problems...?|||MadAndy, there seems to be a minor glitch with the program I'm getting... when I hit "back" after finishing the tests, it sucessfully runs through the tests, but when I go to hit "View Reports" it triggers an error of a fatal nature. I'm running Windows Vista - don't know if that changes anything, but I figure it's worth mentioning. Otherwise, great program! It's helping me a lot with talking to the guys down at Linksys about my port issues hehe|||Port 9103 tests will fail if GPGNet is running, as GPGNet will be holding the port at the time NATTrace tries to run the test. This is normal - quit GPGNet and run the test again and it should run fine.



Pyro - thanks for the report. It happened whenever you tried to view the report more than once. I'll upload a new version to the server soon.



Spaddy - yup, it likely will use the IE settings, even though you use Seamonkey (I do too). This is because it's using the .NET framework calls for the web access tests, much as I'm pretty sure GPGNet uses IE for the rendering of the GPGNet welcome page, the ad banner and the like. I try to test the resources that GPGNet uses.|||Whenever I attempt to run this program I get the following error:



system.missingmethodexception



Tried it with .NET 2.0 installed, then upgraded to .NET 3.0. Same error either way.



http://img180.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... aceia4.gif|||DM426|||Spaddy|||Hmmm NATTrace is a .NET 2.0 app so it should work. Possibly the error details might give more information. Also, have you checked your firewall isn't blocking NATTrace (though the error's usually different if it does)?|||MadAndy|||Hmm, NatTrace (nice little app BTW!) runs with no failures. However I can't login to GPGNet. A couple times I get in, but can't do anything. I downloaded the patch separately and installed it. Sometimes it will ask me for the CD key instead, and says the CD key is invalid.

Usually I get this:

1 Core: 1 Could not connect to GPGNet: Supreme Commander. Please check your internet connection and try again.



No firewall enabled. AVG antivirus running(not sure how to disable without messing with msconfig and rebooting).



I'm behind a Linksys router, with ports forwarded.



Any ideas???|||NatTrace returning a flawless report on a Linksys? This is news to me! How did you manage that one? What version do you have, what model, how'd you set it up? I've been chatting with the guys down at Linksys for days trying to get mine working...



Anyway, antivirus gear is notorious for conflicting with Supreme Commander - you'll most likely have to disable that and find out if it's the problem before any further troubleshooting can occur.|||Got it!



I had to uninstall and reinstall the whole .NET 2.0 framework, which was troublesome as there are other programs dependant on .NET and Windows XP did not want to let me take it out.



After the reinstall, NATTrace worked fine and GPGnet seems to be working as well.|||ok, great app, how do I open a nat port? I know how to open a tcp or udp port, is it the same thing as that? i have one port that is failing, nat 30351



thanks in advance|||If there's only one port that's failing, the most likely cause is simply that something else has taken it, which occasionally happens. This can often be cleared by rebooting both your computer and your router.

No comments:

Post a Comment