Monday, April 16, 2012

SC2 crash in both skirmish and campaign

Hi all,



since i don't know where to turn to for errors/bugs/problems I'll just try here hope you don't mind.



The problem: SC2 plays just fine, for a while, but then the video output goes dead. Sound follows suit after a min or so. In skirmish this only seems to happen in slightly bigger/longer (3 players) games. In the campaign it happens every time in mission 5 around the time the opp. starts, very strategically..., nuking the civilians.



I can, sometimes, get back to the desktop/task manager. SC2 is only using 600mb or so of RAM (out of 4gb). Processor seems fine too (5600+). Checked file integrity with steam; just fine. All up-to-date too. Checked possible screensaver influence, but it is turned off. I am baffled as to what the cause could be.



So my question is; does any of you recognize this and/or know what to do next?



Thanks in advance!|||What windows are you using? If vista or 7, have that UAC from control center turned off. I suggest that you restart the mission. I had one Aeon mission get locked in a crash loop for some reason, and it also bugged in a number of other ways. Restarting the mission fixed it for me.



Also when was the last time you have cleaned your computer from inside? Dust causes overheating and losing video hints towards that.|||I run it on XP. Fully updated one as well.



I already replayed the mission several times (The story does not improve that way i must say).



I am thinking, could a faulty cdrom-drive cause this? Mine is nearing the end of its life.



Thanks for the quick reply btw|||oh and cleaning... maybe a few months back. I'll have a look at it right now, thx|||Well, seems like dust was the culprit indeed. Bizarre amounts of it in both my processor-cooler and graphics card. Makes me think about how FEAR could run like that :? . Anyway, problem seems to be solved now, thx!|||Yeah, never underestimate the power of dust. I try to clean the computer case thoroughly every 3 months or so. I screw the gpu out and blow it clean with pressurized air. Does wonders for performance.|||DeGenezer|||OrangeKnight

No comments:

Post a Comment